my first winter experience

Friday, May 22, 2009


When was the last time you experienced something for the first time?" I suddenly remembered this line from the Discovery Channel. It’s amazing how things like these creep into your mind unexpectedly.
This is my first time to experience winter. Yes, my first time to experience the season and my first time to be in korea. Talk about killing two birds with one stone. Growing up, I always read about winter in books, saw it in pictures and paintings and watched it in movies and with my daughter explainations. But little did I know that experiencing it first-hand would be a different thing altogether.
I can’t say exactly when I noticed it was winter, but the leaves on some of the trees gave me the clue. Not only are they turning brown color, the mountains and all sorroundings were look so sad like there is no life for the trees. The leaves of the trees were quite noticeably there is no one you can see . The winter view is a popular thing in korea. The mountains are brown color. but if snow falls the mountain and all sorrunding was great very interesting and i felt amazed because of the new look i had seen.


Another thing I noticed that time was that my black jacket no longer keeps me warm during snow days. Yup, definite chill in the air those days. Might need to bundle up very very soon. I’m really a summer person and i am so old to felt the winter cold, my body was weak enough to feel chill and freezing cold. Also, unlike in the Philippines where sunrise and sunset are more consistent, In korea winter season, 4:30pm seems like 7pm when the sun sets and casts shadows in the darkening sky and surroundings. It all seems strange for a first-timer like me, but I am sure everyone around me doesn’t give a heck that it’s pretty dark by 5:30pm and stars seldom to see. In philippines sky were so beautiful full of starbright but in korean winter season seems so lonely for me. So, pardon my elation about such trivialities. What may seem insignificant to some, may be consequential to me.
I am really looking forward to experiencing the another season in korea . If it means getting chilled to the bone or watching the trees everyday changing into white color because of the snow then I won’t mind doing it. After all, that was may be my first and last winter experience.

3 comments:

My Memories and Crystals said...

Wow I wanted to experience that too. How I wish???

Thanks for sharing this post

My Memories and Crystals said...

I have an award for you. Just grab it. God bless

Melanie said...

I grew up in the midwestern U.S. and winter was also just a given for me. As an adult, I moved further south and for the first time experienced very mild winters. Your post brought back wonderful wintertime memories for me.

Thanks for visiting me last week!